Monday, August 20, 2007

An e-life in an e-world

It got me thinking today for no real reason in particular but it starting consuming my thoughts as I drove wanting and wondering why I had an urgent desire to use the internet. It had only been about half an hour since I had been away from my computer but for some reason I needed it.

Almost like security or a blanket the internet and my mobile phone are an accessory much like a pair of socks and a pair of jocks. It is seriously ridiculous how I and the rest of the world are so reliant on mobile phones, emails, myspace, facebook… I mean does the world change every hour at such a rapid pace that I need to be re-informed so quickly?

What could have so drastically changed over the last half hour that will have such a significant change, outcome or bearing on my life? It scares me how I and many others are becoming all too consumed by technology and constant interaction in this e-world.

An article in today’s Sydney Morning Herald claimed that facebook is costing businesses over $5 billion per year wasted productivity because of this social network. It can also become eerie and creepy when people, ‘friends’ inform you that they know what you have been doing in your life because they read it on your facebook.

Is there any such thing as a personal space in this e-world? Do any of us lead private lives or have our private diaries, thoughts, emotions, scrapbooks, pictures and video’s been uploaded and opened to all so we can experience an ‘e-life’?

Technology is consuming our lives at a scary rate and I have realised this moreover in the last few months. Posting videos on YouTube, MySpace, Facebook and the like gives the entire e-world complete access to your e-life.

It is becoming so easy to discover things about yourself behind the confines of a computer screen and the public forum of the internet.

What did people do 200 years ago? Send letters, carrier pigeons and transport was by horse and cart plus across water via boat. Now it’s instantaneous from the revolutions of AOL Instant Messenger – ICQ – MSN – myspace – facebook and beyond… what is the next part of my e-world to show everyone my e-life…

It’s scary but I am far to consumed by this eworld and wonder if I will stop or if it will stop me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's a simple solution to your problem Oly. Turn them all off. Your computer and your phone, try it, I guarrantee it will change your life. Go on, I dare you. The choice for our generation is to pay attention only when necessary, it's the only way to filter out all of the crap that we are bombarded with daily. Man's worst invention? - RSS feeds